Monday, June 18, 2007

Talk to Me

(Robin Macy, 1994)

I was up late last night. Three in the morning, to be exact. Don't ask why. Ok, I was putting together a book of our Colorado pictures. If I got paid for all the books I've done on Italy, Tyler and now Colorado I could retire a semi-unimpoverished woman and buy that lovely Wyandotte mobile home we've had our eye on. Don't scoff. It's a double-wide, with built-in plastic flower boxes (and plastic flowers).

Anyway, I didn't wake up until Kate called me at 10:30 this morning. I stumbled into my office and answered the phone, mumbled a few words and hung up. Then I called Ron to see how his first day back at work was going. He, in turn, asked me how I was doing (because it's what I've trained him to do) and I mumbled some more words. "What did you say?" he asked. "I'm sorry, I don't have my contacts in and I can't talk when I can't see." "Good," he said, "leave 'em out. I'll throw away your glasses, too!"

Although I laughed at the time, I'm starting to get a little bitter about his comment. He may say I talk too much, but he'd miss this voice of mine. Maybe I'll go on a voice strike and not speak for a week, like Duane in "Little Miss Sunshine." Everyone who knows me is now rolling on the floor and holding their sides because of the uncontrollable laughter that's convulsing their bodies. I know I could do it. But I'd have to have some kind of accident to put me in a coma.

2 comments:

morghan said...

that's funny.
sometimes i sing john mayer songs to kate in the morning when she's getting ready and i have really bad morning breath. i think that's probably the only time she doesn't like to smell, i mean hear, my voice.

Tom and Leah said...

i think i heard the "banging" but i wrote it off because of those fancy nails. it never bothered me because i was too engrossed on the fixer-upper shows on tlc. wow we watched a lot of tlc back in the day. i guess you were/are a fixer-upper, making people look all purdy. even if you didn't talk for a week you could still post...