Monday, June 11, 2007

I Can See Clearly Now

(Johnny Nash, 1972)

When we're on vacation we always try and select one trashy show to watch. Most years it's been "Cops," but recently the plethora of trashy shows has given us a whole snorkle to choose from. The other night we happened upon "Dr 90210." It's about plastic women dying to become more plastic and who are willing to pay big bucks in an effort to achieve perfection. Silly, lost women. Don't they know all they have to do is come to Jesus? And then, when they die, they'll be perfection in ways they can only begin to imagine. That's what keeps me goin' and out from under the knife.

As they head into a surgery for a breast augmentation ON AN EIGHTEEN-YEAR-OLD Tyler and I notice that below the "Operating Room" sign is BRAILLE! Who wants anyone who is visually impaired in an operating room? Oy!

Which led me to question again why drive through ATM's have Braille? I suppose it's there for walk-ups, but I have to think that it would be a rare occurrence. I started thinking about all the other places I wouldn't want to see Braille. The only one I could come up with is a gas pump. And maybe the cockpit of an airplane.

3 comments:

morghan said...

i think plastic surgery is a personal decision, and a lot of women do it for a realistic reason and not to achieve "perfection," though there are a ton of plastics on the west coast. those women have no brain and too much money so you can't really blame them. they're androids. but for the realistic women and men, i think their surgery is usually used to boost their self confidence and self esteem, and it is usually resorted to as a last resort. my best friend's sister received a breast reduction and her back pains subsided and her self image improved greatly. if used in the right situation, i really think plastic surgery is awesome. only if not used to look like a real-life barbie doll.

that's really funny about the braille. reminds me of a far side comic.

jdmartin said...

Unfortunately, this particular show didn't showcase anyone choosing surgery for medical or self-esteem issues, although the 18 year old said after the surgery she felt better about herself - but I'm pretty sure she just wanted bigger boobs to show off.

Unknown said...

hooly crap.
this one woman on the show wanted her flippin' three karat ring embedded into her rist!
what the fo ya'll.
that's a little drastic, if you ask me.
addie is getting bigger jugs eventually.
i'm all down for that.
she's wanted them for a while now, like since she was three.
good for her.=)