Sunday, June 3, 2007

Laughing

(The Guess Who, 1969)

Well, we’re here, happily ensconced in our cabin/suite. A fire is crackling in the fireplace and there’s a thunderstorm quietly raging outside. It’s heaven on earth.

There are times when I start laughing and nearly lose my life. I can’t stop, I can’t get a breath and it’s funnier than hell. Tonight I bought a book thong, a really cool type of bookmark that is made of waxed string and really beautiful beads on either end. Tyler reminded me that he and Kate tried to make them one year when I couldn’t find any in my favorite EP bookstore. The next day they got a new shipment in and I remember saying “Praise the Lord,” because, despite their best efforts, the Kate and Tyler thongs were pretty pitiful. I told Tyler (tonight) that their thongs looked like they were made at a sheltered workshop. (WARNING: the following is quite possibly politically incorrect - I apologize in advance). For those of you who don’t know what that is (as Tyler didn’t) it’s a place where mentally challenged people work, usually assembling stuff. “Comb and brush sets,” I said. “Comb and brush sets?” asked Tyler. Then, in one of those moments when the brain becomes completely disemboweled and hears something that clearly wasn’t said, he said, “Gary Coleman has comb and brush sets?” There I went. In seconds I was honking and gasping for air, with tears streaming down my face. If you’ve never laughed like that you should really try it. Just hang around Tyler and me for an hour or two.

No comments: