Sunday, May 13, 2007

Queen for a Day

I am a lucky, lucky woman. Today I was treated like a queen. Ok, maybe I demanded that I be treated like a queen. It worked. I did pretty much nothing all day long. My folks came over for a picnic and we had a great time. They are so funny and I am truly grateful that they are close by now. It makes returning things they've left at our house SO much easier. Ron grilled some excellent burgers and hot dogs and we made s'mores, my mom's favorite. Nobody was really into them except me, mom and dad. I feel like I've robbed my children of some childhood rite of passage. Eating ooey, gooey marshmallows with melted chocolate that sticks all over your face should be a required childhood event. Like getting immunizations. And that sugar rush you get? Has to be better than meth. Has to be. Ron says he doesn't like them but tonight he was watching "How's It Made" on TV and there's a segment on Whippets (not the dogs). They're made of marshmallows that are on top of a cookie crust and covered in chocolate. He says, "Let's get some." Oy!

Tyler gave me a coupon for a meal with him, my choice of restaurant. Is he in trouble! The American? MelBee's? THE MELTING POT? That cheese is SCREAMING my name. I won't tell you what the chocolate is doing.

Kate gave me, in addition to an awesome homemade card, the most beautiful picture (at right). She has so much creativity inside of her it makes me sick. In high school she won the Judge's Prize for mixed media piece that she said took five minutes to do. I think I'm pretty creative. Compared to me she looks like Picasso, Warhol and Jackson Pollock all rolled into one.

One of my very favorite memories of Mother's Day (although it was not humorous at the time) was when Kate was about 12 and Tyler was six. Of course, it was Sunday morning and I was trying to get ready for church. I'm in the shower, trying to fix my thoughts on worship and other holy things, when both kids come busting through the door yelling, "Happy Mother's Day! Open your presents." Most loving, adoring mothers would have been thrilled with the recognition, but I'm sure I said something like, "Oh, for cryin' out loud, give me a break! I'm trying to humble myself before God." And to think I wonder why I never got "Mother of the Year."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had a nice time yesterday.

jdmartin said...

we did too. see you on Saturday!

Tom and Leah said...

you make me laugh out loud! and as for the birds, i'd come and splash in your fountain any time. i think you're the cat's meow...

Unknown said...

yesterday was a blast. i reall did enjoy it.
let me know where you want to eat, and we'll make it happen.