Monday, May 28, 2007

Disco Duck

(Rick Dees, 1976)

If you want to get a little chuckle, take a drive south on Antioch to about 83rd or 84th Street. On the left hand side of the road is a yellow house with a duck outside. Not a real one. It's plastic or ceramic or cement - whatever. This duck is, unquestionably, the best dressed duck in Johnson County (and most the likely the ONLY dressed duck in Johnson County, unless you count the ones dressed, in a culinary sense, for your holiday table). Yesterday, the duck had on a purple dress and red accessories, no doubt an homage to those old ladies who wear purple and red. Everyone, raise your right hand and swear on whatever is most meaningful to you that you will have me locked up if I ever even think about wearing that color combination. And for everyone's sake, throw away the key.

This haute couture duck has also been known to sport graduation attire, complete with diploma in hand/wing. And a Royals uniform, although it's not made an appearance this year (to my knowledge, anyway). The duck's stylist may be making some kind of statement, given the dismal year they're having. The duck has pilgrim clothes, Easter clothes, valentine clothes - nearly every major holiday is covered. I've seriously thought about snapping pictures of each outfit and making a calendar, but, honestly, that would just take too much time and point out even more clearly that I need a life and that I'm way to easy to amuse. I tried to get Tyler to go take a picture today for me but he just ignored me.

Another side, and rather embarrassing, note about this song, Disco Duck. It was my nickname in high school, not because I was a fly disco queen, but because I had a knack for falling into water fully clothed. It only happened twice, but both times were in winter and I was horsing around, trying to be cute and cool. Really only got the cool (cold) part down. It is NO fun trying to swim in bell bottoms and a down vest, even if a cute boy is watching (mainly laughing his arse off). Whoever says they want to relive their teenage years had to have been completely wasted the whole time and has an altered memory of what it was really like. Now those college days . . . THAT'S another story (and, if you're lucky, perhaps another posting).

No comments: