Thursday, May 3, 2007

Give Me Liberty or Give Me A Break

Twenty six years ago I was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in History. I started out majoring in sociology, with a minor in history. But, in the middle of my junior year I decided to switch it up. I'm not sure why, perhaps to give my parents heart failure and my advisors ulcers. If I'd known that I'd have to take "Nazi Germany" and "Rape and Suicide" in the same semester I might have pondered my decision a little bit more carefully. I think the breaking point was a sociology class about some primitive tribe in the Amazon and their social mores (morays) and customs. I couldn't help thinking, "Why do I need to know that walking in front of the medicine man's hut on a partly cloudy day will bring out evil spirits?" "How is this going to be useful to me in twenty years?" Whereas history . . . a whole different story. I somehow innately knew that there'd be a game invented some fifteen years later that would call upon my vast historical knowledge and allow me to win a piece of the pie. Yeah, that's what my degree in history's been used for. Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy and occasionally Who Wants to Be A Millionaire. Lotsa money spent on an education that enables me to recall random dates and names. For instance, I know without a doubt that Jefferson commissioned Lewis & Clark's famous expedition that resulted in the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Lincoln was shot on April 12, 1865. The pilgrims landed in Plymouth in 1620. The first child born in America was named Virginia Dare. Somebody stop me.

Truthfully, I really do love history. I'm a firm believer that you can't really know who you are if you don't know where you come from - if you don't understand and appreciate the experiences of the past. I've spent some time walking over farmers' fields that became Civil War battlefields. I saw rows and rows and rows of card catalogue files with the names of Union prisoners of war at Andersonville. I've watched Ken Burns' Civil War piece several times and have a growing fascination with World War II. In Italy last year, I was completely humbled knowing that the very spot I was standing could have been occupied by Julius Caesar, or the apostles Peter or Paul. In Florence, we saw stunning works of art literally on every street corner. Art that was borne during the Renaissance, some 700 years ago. Our house is 70 years old. The villa we stayed in has vineyards planted in the 1300's.

I'm in the process of reading "John Adams" by David McCullough. It's a very detailed account of the life of our second president, along with fascinating insights into the creation of our country. There was something very noble and authentic in the way our nation was shaped, and I can't help but wonder what the likes of Jefferson, Franklin, Adams and the other framers of our constitution would think about our current situation.

From a strictly moral standpoint, they'd be appalled. A former president caught commiting adultery? Not uncommon back in the day; we all know Jefferson was no paragon of virtue when it came to monogamy. But the entireity of the world didn't know about it and wait with baited breath to hear and read all the sordid details. I think they'd be equally shocked to see how ineffective the legislative body has become. Those bewigged and tights wearing gents, I believe, truly had the country's best interests in mind when they began the fight for independence. They honored and respected differing opinions and made compromises that didn't affect the eventual outcome. Even though they had different passions and ideas, they all came together and were of the same mind when it came to the absolute and undeniable need to be free of England's rule. Today, we've got one bunch of people who think we must stay in Iraq until we WIN. Another group calls for some limitations. Another group says we should have never gone in like the Caped Crusader in the first place. And we've got a president who's dug in his heels and won't admit that the horse has run away with the cart.

Given the purity and elevated integrity of our country's early days I'd trade places in a flash. That's taking into account that there were squalid living conditions (at least by today's standards), a shorter life expectancy, exhorbitant child mortality rates, poor health care and no internet or reality tv.

Know what else my degree in history taught me? How to fill up lots and lots of blue books . . . and blogs.

1 comment:

morghan said...

omg. "blue books." the dreaded word in college. you knew the test was going to be horrible when the teacher made you bring one of these, although i am pretty good at pulling stuff outta you know where when it comes to essay form, kind of like how i am doing right now.

you must have been on a healthy dose on anti-depressants for the semester you had "nazi germany" and "rape and suicide." that's hilarious.