Wednesday, May 9, 2007

It's A Sickness, Really

I'm sitting here, wacom pen in hand, waiting for inspiration to raise its beautiful and shining head. Hmmm. Nothing yet.

Still nothing. I could write about my insane propensity to constantly edit and re-edit what I write. I read and re-read these blogs before I post them. I make a few changes. Never deleting words. Always adding words. Several words. Then I post it and I read it again. And edit it some more.

I knew I had a serious problem when I kept a prayer journal and I began editing my prayers. Sorry, God. (Like He hadn't already corrected them Himself.)

When Kate and Tyler hand me stuff to read/edit they ask me not to bleed on it too much (I like red ink). I try, try, try but more often than not it looks like a prop from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (not that I've seen that movie . . . it just sounded like a good metaphor).

I had a colleague ask me to read a paper she was doing for seminary. I made a few suggestions, really minor ones. She never asked me to read a paper again. I guess she just wanted me to look for typos. I can't help it - I look for thoughtos. You know, those thoughts and ideas that really would make better sense if this part of the sentence went before that part, or if this adverb were used instead of that adverb. What the heck! Let me just rewrite this whole paragraph. There! That's SO much better! (sound of little clapping hands)

So, as you read these words, understand that they have been carefully crafted and recrafted to provide you with the highest caliber of entertainment and enjoyment.

5 comments:

morghan said...

i'm just impressed you can post with a wacom pen. it's majik if anything shows up (in the right place) when i use that thing. i think i would have more luck if i used the pen tool to write my letters.
um, i have a similar experience. one of my friends at work is writing a "novella," and she asks me to "edit" it about 2xs a year. i labor over it, re-edit, mark out and write all over it.. the second time she handed it over, none of my "edits" had been taken into effect... so, the last few times i've just written her a "general" critique of one paragraph that uses the word "good" a lot. i think she's a lot more happy with it.

jdmartin said...

Ha! I've got you fooled into thinking I can write with my wacom pen. I think it's more like a pacifier. I don't get nearly as many stares since I tossed the binky and took up the pen. I was going to count how many times I pick it up in a day . . . I would suggest practice, practice, practice. I NEVER use a mouse on anything. FYI, I think it's criminal to even attempt to write something without a hefty thesaurus within arm's reach.

morghan said...

yeah. www.thesaurus.com is saved as a "favorite" for sure.
well, ever since i found the magnetic lasso in photoshop, i have really been deterred in picking up the pen!

Unknown said...

i hope you know that next year, i will be sending you all of my papers to edit.=)
that's been a HUGE help this year.
thank you.

Tom and Leah said...

my sister-in-law susan edits her prayer journal too. weirdos.