Monday, October 15, 2007

You Can't Always Get What You Want

No, I'm not back to using song titles; it just happened to be appropriate.

I'm in the middle of retouching a girl with a zillion freckles. (Sidebar: I've noticed recently that most people who do what I do refer to retouching as "editing." I guess that's the politically correct term. Retouching is much too . . . um, let's see . . . honest?) Back to the freckles. I would bet Ron's brand new nine-tools-in-one screwdriver that she hates them. Dreams of peaches and cream skin. Has heard the "let's play connect the dots" just one too many times for it to be amusing. Longs for alabaster skin.

Why do I know? Because I've had a similar yearning - long, straight hair - my entire lifetime. Ok, only since about the third grade when the curls slowly began their takeover - a hostile one, I might add. It was the 70's. Marcia Brady and Laurie from the Partridge Family had stick straight hair parted down the middle were the epitome of the cool girls. I wanted straight hair so bad I put pink tape on my bangs. Yes, pink. It was made especially for hair (didn't pull out every third hair). Sometimes I was so desperate I used real tape. Wouldn't advise that. All the tape really did was flatten my wavy bangs to my forehead. I kinda looked like Donald Trump. Ok, that makes me sick to my stomach.

All my friends who have straight hair, of course, covet my curly hair. Once, when I got my hair cut, I scooped up all the hair on the floor, put it in a ziploc bag and gave it to my friend, Judy. She looked at me like I was crazy. "What?" I asked. "You told me you wanted my hair! Take it!"

Over the years, I've found that there are certain benefits of having a permanent perm.
1. I really never have to brush my hair.
2. It's never the same look two days in a row.
3. I don't have to sleep on curlers (ha - how old am I?)
4. It drives Ron wild.
5. I can never commit a murder (or other heinous crime) because my dna will be everywhere.
6. Marcia Brady and Laurie Partridge are now jealous of ME.

Who's the cool girl, now?

5 comments:

Tom and Leah said...

the best part, janet, is that you've taught tyler how do love that hair! us straight hairs with a little kink are so envious. not only that, but the color of your hair is glorious. i can only hope that while my hair won't miraculously become curly, it will turn beautiful. what color do you call that anyway?

jdmartin said...

I call it 48. Next year it will be 49 and so on.

Unknown said...

i can't believe you are hinting at the fact that laurie partridge is "too happy." sheesh mum.
very good post! i will always think of you when people talk about my curly hair, since it is from you after all.
have a grand day!!

Tom and Leah said...

is that clairol #48?

jdmartin said...

Ha ha. Maybe I should have said "Pushing 49" and next year it will be "Pushing 50." I actually looked for white hair coloring. I want my hair to be like Meryl Streep's in "The Devil Wears Prada." So, so lovely.