Sunday, October 21, 2007

Keeping Up with the Sagdiyevs

I know I'm behind the cultural curve by about five light years . . . I just watched "Borat." And I have to say . . . I thought it was, for the most part, really, really funny. Irreverent? Yes. Scandalous? Yes. Offensive? Yes. But still really funny. Maybe because he spread his prejudice and tastelessness over the entire human spectre. And because it was so over the top. And, if we're honest, nearly every ethnicity and "specialized" class makes fun of itself. Remember the Seinfeld episode when Jerry was convinced that his dentist converted to Judaism for the jokes? Borat just steps over the line (about eighty million steps) and takes advantage of the "he doesn't know any better" excuse.

Perhaps my favorite: the "not" joke scene. And the feminists who were just not having it. And I thought it to be very telling that he referred to the war in Iraq as our "War of Terror" instead of our "War ON Terror."

I won't watch it again, but now I know what all the buzz is (was) about.

3 comments:

Tom and Leah said...

still haven't seen it. it wasn't too crass? i did hear a part of an interview with sacha baron cohen on npr with terry gross done during the heyday of "borat". it was the only interview he did as himself and not borat. i think i'd like that guy, as long as i could laugh at myself a ton.

jdmartin said...

Oh, it was crass, but it moved quickly. I would fast forward during the naked scene with his partner (ugh), the frat boy scene and the church scene (those were the most offensive to me). I wouldn't have watched it on purpose, I don't think. I just happened upon it and it was near the beginning . . .

morghan said...

kate and i haven't even seen it yet?! gosh, guys.