Thursday, October 11, 2007

Make Me Laugh Out Loud

I think the neighbors heard me tonight. It was the opening scene of "The Office" and Meredith comes back from her hospital stay (caused by Michael hitting her with his car, resulting in a fractured pelvis). She shuffles over to Jim and thanks him for visiting her in the hospital. Jim points out that EVERYONE visited her in the hospital and she says, "But I'm singling you out." She pulls out a sharpie and asks if he'll sign her cast. He says, in his agreeable kind of guy way, "Sure." She then pulls up her dress to her waist to reveal her female anatomy encased in a plaster cast. This provokes my first WHOOP of laughter. Jim's eyes widen nervously and he hurriedly scribbles his name. Meredith leans in and whispers, real sexy-like, "I'll read it tonight when I get home." Oh my gosh! I want to be in the room with the people who write this stuff. Of course I'd make a complete fool of myself, but whatever. So, so funny.

You might be amused to find out that I do a lot of my laughing in the bathroom. That's because my Reader's Digest library is in there. (Guideposts is in there, too, but it doesn't produce too many guffaws.) Every month those two magazines arrive in the mail and I put them in the wire basket in the corner. Used to be I could read both issues in a month. But somewhere along the line I got behind. I'm pretty sure my trips to the loo haven't decreased that much, but I just can't figure out how I got so backed up (ha). Anyway, my point is, I'm reading issues from last year and finding out important stuff that I completely missed when it was relevant. Oh well. I guess life will go on.

The current issue I'm reading is all about humor. So, for the next few posts, I'll include some of the best of the best . . . today a thought-provoking observation from Jerry Seinfeld:

So they're showing me, on television, the detergents getting out bloodstains. I mean, come on, you got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it. Maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem right now.

Laugh well . . .

3 comments:

morghan said...

I was trying to think of the funniest thing i have come across lately and the only thing that is striking a chord is my birthday card from you and Ron. omg. that image is going to be with me for the rest of my life. hilarious. thank you two again.

jdmartin said...

You're completely welcome. It was fun to do - mainly because we knew you'd get a kick out of it!

morghan said...

that i did. even more so your comment about the typo. kate was like, "oh my gosh, don't point it out! one time i did and it was NOT a good idea." something about a christmas card or something...