Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Recent Viewings

That sounds creepily like something that would be on a funeral home marquee. Which would be equally creepy - a funeral home with a marquee. Instead of "Now Playing" it would be "Now Resting." ForEVER! Talk about a long-running engagement . . .

Actually, I'm referring to what I've recently been viewing via Netflix DVD. Those Netflix guys must be lounging somewhere in the south of France, slouching in the beach chairs once occupied by Blockbuster corporate execs. I noticed our local Hollywood Video is going belly up and all of their dvd are on sale for $5. I zoomed in there one afternoon and asked if they had "Band of Brothers." An employee, obviously dreaming of being anywhere but there, told me they had one copy and that it was (with a half-hearted sweeping gesture) somewhere out there. So, I began the arduous task of going down each row, looking at each shelf. It was the stupidest display of chaos I've ever seen (except maybe for Kate's room circa 1996). Nothing was in alphabetical order, nothing was categorically organized. I found the first season of "Rome" on one of the outside walls and season two clear across the room. I spent an hour wandering like a lab rat in and out of the aisles, only to find one DISC of the series. Arrrsghslssstshtsthslslsl! And, seriously, didn't find a single other movie I was compelled to buy. However, if you're dying to buy "Flight 93" or "Failure to Launch" . . .

Back to my recent viewings. It's "Dexter." I'm so conflicted I think I may need long-term psychoanalysis. It's about this blood splatter expert (brilliantly played by Michael C. Hall, the guy from "Six Feet Under") who has a secret life as a serial killer. Turns out his foster dad, a cop, discovered Dexter's dark side and helped him channel his lust for death by telling him that there were lots of bad people who needed to be killed. Also taught him a thing or two about leaving a "clean" crime scene. So, Dexter researches (hunts) people who do bad things and then . . . well, he kills them. Oh, his dad also taught him the importance of learning how to blend in. Things like smiling for a camera and pretending to like people. Because Dexter is pretty much dead inside. And boy, does he have the pretend thing down. You can't help but like the guy. And when he was about to be exposed, I was frantic with worry. I DO need a shrink! The language is rough and there are buckets of blood, but if you can get past that - it's a good watch.

The other night Ron said he was going to start sleeping with one eye open. I said he didn't have to worry. I'm going to start sleeping with a bowie knife under my pillow.

2 comments:

Tom and Leah said...

yawee, that sounds icky. must be a good plot though. it comes to close to "american psycho" for my taste. back to episodes of "late night with conan o'brien". don't you love free shows on the internet?

Unknown said...

Haha, dexter is a good show. It just freaks me out! I had fun this weekend. Have a good week!!