Friday, July 9, 2010

The Dichotomy of Life

More than once in the last few years I've had an unsettling awareness that there are aspects of the human experience about which I have no clue. I know that sentence is awkward, but it's grammatically correct (I think).

For example, last month Ron and I spent an hour or so at Amethyst Place helping plant a garden. Amethyst Place is a not-for-profit organization that provides housing (and much, much more) to women in recovery. What's different about Amethyst Place is that the women are allowed to have their children live with them. As I watched these young women, most of whom are single parents with several children, I found myself thinking about the life experiences that they've had . . . the seemingly insurmountable obstacles they've faced and, quite frankly, will probably continue to face for awhile. Their lives are certainly not easy.

Another example comes in the form of a documentary on HBO titled "Every F---ing Day of My Life." It's currently "on demand" and I would encourage you to watch it. But, I will warn you. It is very difficult to watch. It chronicles one the of the most horrific accounts of spousal abuse ever reported. It's one of those things that you will not soon forget, nor should you. I have absolutely no concept what it would be like to constantly live in fear of my life and the lives of my children. The fact that this woman is still alive is a miracle.

In stark contrast to those two examples is a show Ron and I watched last night called "Selling New York." It's about several real estate firms that specialize in high-end housing in NYC. And by high-end I mean $12.5 million dollars, with the commission being around a million dollars. Town homes that are 11,700 square feet with indoor lap pools and 2,400 square feet terraces (bigger than our entire house). Again, no concept of what life at the upper end would be like. Not a clue.

Earlier I said that the awareness I was experiencing was unsettling. By that I don't mean it makes me uncomfortable, although the thought of spending that much money on a house verges on vulgarity - who really NEEDS to spend that much money, even if you have it? I actually feel more humbled. And grateful (and perhaps a little bit guilty) that my life has been really very blessed.

I don't mind that unsettling feeling because it reminds me to see the good things in my life and to be thankful. And it forces me to think beyond myself and to embrace - if only to a tiny degree - the vast sea of humanity that lives around me. I think that's a good thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[B][URL=http://www.salethomassabo.com/thomas-sabo-halsschmuck.html]Thomas Sabo Schmuck[/URL][/B] brings in the sterling Silver Series which presents the excellent accessory for prevailing tends in fashion. Leading [B]Thomas Sabo schmuck[/B] most in excellent 925 strerling silver is graced using the use of hand-set and hand-cut zirconia stone. Your highest need in terms of good quality and aesthetics gets fulfilled with the unmatched top quality [B][URL=http://www.salethomassabo.com/thomas-sabo-halsschmuck.html]Thomas Sabo Schmuck[/URL][/B]and styles offered by them. The business also offers unisex line which removes the the conventional differentiation between [B]Thomas Sabo onlineshop[/B] jewellery for males and women.

Within the [B][URL=http://www.salethomassabo.com]Thomas Sabo[/URL][/B] series you will find charms representing the birthstone for each month. [B]Thomas Sabo schmuck[/B] are and can surely sparkle everywhere you go. [B][URL=http://www.salethomassabo.com]Thomas Sabo[/URL][/B] signs also can be added to this. Their charms are produced in the [B]Thomas Sabo onlineshop[/B] style and every a person is created to present the distinctive identity of every sign.

The kid's club is yet another distinctive collection of charms. This [B]Thomas Sabo charms[/B] is meant for young children and teenager. Kids have the alternative to develop their [B][URL=http://www.salethomassabo.com/thomas-sabo-halsschmuck.html]Thomas Sabo Schmuck[/URL][/B] person type also. Exclusive necklaces and bracelets are actually designed to fit smaller children.