Sunday, January 25, 2009

There's Wisdom in Menopause?

That's what Kate said when I told her I'd purchased a book with that title yesterday. I laughed and said, "Yes, there's more than just craziness." I'm not sure she's convinced.

Not that I'm in the throes of menopause. Perimenopause, yes. But so far the symptoms have been fairly benign. Knock on wood. But last week a discussion on Oprah (again, I must assert that I rarely watch her show, but the topic intrigued me) about hormone replacement introduced me to this MD who wrote the aforementioned book. I thought I'd be a smart consumer and health advocate so I bought it.

After the author's second reference to tarot cards (in the first chapter) and one reference to her reliance on psychics and astrologers I began to question whether this was wisdom I really needed. I decided "not" and asked Ron to return the book, which he did (thank you). I think I'll rely on old-fashioned conversations with my doctor and a few hours searching the internet for answers so I'll be ready if and when the time arises that I need my hormones adjusted.

Stay tuned . . . 'cause you know I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you don't think the wisdom from menopause isn't in the tarot cards?? ha, just joking. like the new layout, it's very nice. have a great week! i love you.

Tom and Leah said...

wise choice on returning the book. there must be some smarts in perimenopause, or whatever you called it. i still laugh when i think about your comment about purchasing lady products at sam's club. bulk is usually the way to go...usually.