Thursday, February 5, 2009

Life in the Fast Lane

A few days ago Kate was telling me about a race she and Morghan ran last year. Ok, Morghan ran and Kate walked. Kate was laughing that it took her twenty minutes to walk a mile. I told her that wasn't so bad - I do a twenty minute mile (actually, now it's about 17 minutes -woohoo). She then informed me that, at age 26, she should be able to walk faster than her decrepit mother. She really didn't use those terms, but that's how I heard it. Talk about getting the wind knocked out of your sails. My shoulders, which had previously been thrown back as I boasted my capabilities, were now slumped as reality set in.

Today, however, I have vindication. Kind of. As I was doing my six laps at the SMNorth track, I noticed another walker enter the track. She was about a half a lap ahead of me. And she wasn't going very fast. All of the sudden I transformed into a greyhound and she was the little fake rabbit they run around the racetrack. I picked up speed. Yep. I was gaining on her. I must tell you that I'm ALWAYS getting passed by people who are jogging on the track. I try not to let it dissuade me, but just once I wanted to pass someone. And here was my chance. "Catch the rabbit, catch the rabbit." Sure enough, after a lap of accelerated walking I PASSED HER! It was then that I noticed that she was about seventy. But I didn't care. As I was doing the victory dance in my head, I came to the realization that now that I'd passed her I had to keep ahead of her. It was AWESOME! This is what it feels like to win a race!

Not even kidding . . . about five seconds later I got passed by a chubby teenager. Scared the crap out of me - I thought it was granny running by me. I guess a kid who's at least thirty years younger than me should be able to pass me.

Ah, it was sweet while it lasted.

2 comments:

Tom and Leah said...

just be glad granny didn't come up from behind you and hit you with her cane!

morghan said...

hilarious.
you need some ghetto fab rap tunes to get you in the Z-O-N-E, yo! for reals.. like T.I. and weezy.