Monday, November 12, 2007

Words of Wisdom (and other stuff)

Yesterday, Ron and I wandered around the countryside in our energy-friendly hybrid and about broke our necks looking from side to side at the absolutely stunning fall foliage. It's really, really beautiful this year. My wonderful grandmother, looking at one of nature's little gifts, like a sunset, or flowers or a rainbow, would gently shake her head and say, "When you see something like this, how can ANYONE be an infidel?" Amen.

In other news . . . we were watching the KU-OSU game on Saturday night and a KU defensive player (can't remember who - someone with a couple of "Q's" in his name) intercepted the football. As I watched the replay, I asked Ron, "How come he wasn't guarding his guy?" Because he clearly was just lookin' for the ball, not being defensive at all. Ron paused for about half a second and said, "His guy's sick." I whooped and hollered, finally having definite evidence that Ron has an answer for EVERYTHING, most of which is made up.

When I told my mom I'd ordered our turkey for Thanksgiving, she said, "Oh, is it a live one?" "Well," I said, "It probably is now . . . " She meant "fresh." I'm excited for turkey day. When I was little, each year we rotated between our house, my dad's brother's house and my dad's sister's house. If we were at Uncle John's, a high school football coach, we'd load up our plates, grab a tv tray and park ourselves either in the living room or family room to watch the Detroit Lions play. For as long as I can remember, they ALWAYS play on Thanksgiving. The best part of thanksgiving back then? We got CHRISTMAS presents from our aunts and uncles and got to open one each Sunday in Advent. I remember the year my brother got a ring toss game for the bathtub. It was a moosehead that had a suction cup on it and the object was to toss the rings onto the moose's antlers. I think my brother was about 12. He didn't really like the moosehead ring toss all that much.

Gotta jet . . .

1 comment:

Tom and Leah said...

where can i get a moosehead ring toss? wyatt would love that. maybe then he'd stop throwing rubber duckies at cassidy.

and again, laughing out loud at the infidel comment, ron's answer to interceptions and your response to your mom's turkey question. looks like you're wearing your smarty pants, missy.