Thursday, April 26, 2007

Rev Run & Planet Earth

It's 12:40 a.m. and here I sit. Should be in bed. Should be asleep. But noooooooo. I'm thinking I can be all creative and funny and that millions will laugh themselves silly by the clever and urbane things I come up with. So I'm a little delusional. A bit of grandiose thinking is not bad for the soul. In fact, I think it's a real image booster. However, if I find myself beating a path to Family Tree Nursery to pick up a zillion narcissus bulbs I may have to scale back on the back patting.

I don't watch a lot of MTV. I used to watch Road Rules and Real Life with Kate, but that was a decade or so ago. I'm not much for watching beat up cars being turned into ridiculous vehicles/bedrooms/passion pits/drive-in theaters/soda fountains that are just asking to be stolen, or bratty little 16-year olds who are waaaay too full of themselves and force their daddies to foot the bill for an outrageously expensive party (talk about narcissus bulbs - these lassies grow them out their ears). But the one show I do watch is Run's House. It's hysterical. And not a dirty word to be heard. Rev Run (of Run DMC) is a Rev'run of a church somewhere in Jersey (?) and he's got these five normal kids: Vanessa, Angela, JoJo, Diggie and Russie, and a wife (Justine) who's got the patience of a saint. Last week Rev bet JoJo (17) eight hundred bucks that he'd have a good time hanging out with the old man. Are you kidding me? When she heard about the bet, Justine's eyes didn't pop out of her head, she didn't start bawling Rev out, or stomp around yelling about how utterly stupid and inappropriate it is to bribe your children to hang out with you. Oh wait, that's what I would have done. Anyway, Rev Run plays some bball with the boys and then takes them to Barnes & Noble, where he and JoJo camped out in the Parenting Teens section while Rev tried to get a handle on his oldest son's psyche. JoJo did not have a good time. Finally, they hit the batting cages and JoJo, against his will, cracked a smile. You should check it out. It's on a bunch of times during the week.

Another show that makes me laugh a lot - The Office. I want that theme music as my ringtone. I start bouncing in my chair when it comes on. Can't help it. Seriously. I told Ron that if I heard that music every morning I would literally JUMP out of bed every day. He doubts me. Since he leaves about three hours before my feet hit the floor, he'll probably never know. His loss.

We've been watching the Planet Earth series. Totally fascinating. I don't know how anyone who watches can doubt whether or not there was a Master Planner. The ecosystem is just too bizarre and intricate to think that anyone but God could have orchestrated it. Ron likes to think about God's sense of humor when he was creating things, like this funny bird of paradise that hops around during its mating ritual and has what looks like a bright blue smiley face when it displays its colors for the ladies. Tonight we learned about a five pound cat that lives in Chile. I want a five pound cat. Why haven't they come up with toy breeds of cats anyway? How cute would that be? Later . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we used to have a five pound cat named maurice but now he is like 30 pounds i swear to you