Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Beam Me Down

Ok, so I was all jazzed about creating this cool little piece of me on the internet. I emailed Ron at work and told him he had to read it. When he got home, I peppered him with questions. "Did you read it?" "Did you think it was funny?" "Aren't I the coolest thing in Kansas?" All he said was, "You wrote about dog hair? What's that about?" I asked him if he'd ever read a blog and he said, "No." I told him to keep his thoughts to himself and that our friend, Leah, once wrote about how much she got pooped and drooled and thrown up on. That's the beauty of a blog. It doesn't have to make sense, or strike a blow at the world's injustices or be the next "To Kill A Mockingbird." It's about whatever. Whenever. Wherever. So there, Mr. Suck the Joy Out of My Day. (love you)

Last night I was, once again, mesmerized by technology. I was watching "American Idol" (I know more of you watch it than admit it, so no sneering and jeering) and! Lo! and behold! Elvis was singing a duet with Celine Dion (she dropped out of school in/after 8th grade). It was completely freaky. And kinda good. It makes me wonder what else has been hologram-ed (or however they do it) into our lives. Ron thinks the whole moon walk was done on a sound stage in Burbank. I had just gotten him to shut up about that and then he sees Elvis, apparently alive and well on the American Idol stage, but knowing full well that he died in August of 1977. And it was no velvet Elvis that some unseen puppeteer was controlling from a catwalk. It was the white suit, slicked back hair, tanned and healthy 3-D Elvis. I know. I want to get the technology to have famous people in my house so my neighbors will be jealous. I could have dinner with Martin Sheen and the whole cast of "West Wing." Or tour our grounds with, say, Jimmy and Roslyn Carter. Or cruise down our street with the Monkees doing that wacky walk. How fun would that be?

Ron and I ate at a wonderful new restaurant (at least new to us) . . . Mi Ranchita Concina Mexicana. It's in downtown OP, about 80th and Metcalf. We drove past there last weekend and there was a huge crowd outside so we took that to be a good sign. We were right. Great food, nice atmosphere, reasonable prices. When we left around 6:30 there were about twenty people waiting for tables. And it was a Wednesday for cryin' out loud! Watch those chips and salsa though. They just keep bringing them out and before you know it you're chipped to the gills. Check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i saw a clip of that elvis thing. it was weird. it looked like he was really there.