Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The "J" Word

In the last two days I've heard "Jesus" mentioned multiple times in prime time TV. And I have to say a fervent "Amen" to that!

Last night, on "American Idol," Dolly Parton served as the contestant's mentor for the week. I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about the availability of good songs from Dolly's songbook. I was, however, pleasantly surprised. Not being a huge Dolly fan from a musical standpoint, I realized that the only songs I really knew were "Nine to Five" and "Islands in the Stream." At least three of the songs had direct Jesus references and most of the others definitely had a spiritual undertone.

Then, tonight, a group called the Clark Brothers did a ramped up version of "This Little Light of Mine," which was awesome. And Dolly sang a song about Jesus and gravity.

Later in the evening, I watched a re-run of "Oprah" (this is where I always add the disclaimer that I don't usually watch Oprah . . . I don't know why I do this. Probably because I want people to think I'm doing something much more significant than watch afternoon TV?). She had two families on whose daughters were both involved in a car accident a couple of years ago. The girls' identities were mistakenly switched; one family buried who they thought was their daughter, but in reality she was in a coma, being cared for by the family of the girl who really died. It put me through the wringer! When asked how they managed to move through this heart-wrenching ordeal, both families said it was their faith and the knowledge and assurance of the work done by Jesus on the cross - and the forgiveness that we receive through that work - was what they relied on. I was really blown away by their boldness and conviction. Another "amen."

Oh, yeah. This has nothing to do with the "J" word . . . I got all ready to watch "Emma" on Masterpiece Theater that I dvr'd a couple of weeks ago and found out that I'd really taped a whole show on menopause. Talk about a disappointment! But, I watched it anyway. All I can say about it is my family is in for a real treat . . .

No comments: